Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Managerial responsibility for all aspects of project construction and EPC (or EPCM) interaction/oversight for the Ahafo Mill Expansion project to ensure project field construction activities are executed appropriately and effectively to exacting Newmont social, community, environmental, opportunity & risk, and safety standards.
- Represent the Owner’s Project Team and communicate on the progress and status of construction works and all other field and site construction activities.
- Act as liaison with the EPC (or EPCM) contractor’s team and manage site activities per requirements in the contracts agreement.
- Provide oversight of the EPC / construction contractors’ Health, Safety and Environmental Programs Labor Relations, Social Acceptance Program, Site Security, Camp and Site Work Rules and other activities pertaining to the physical site in compliance with Newmont Standards.
- Understand and assume accountability for Owner’s deliverables to the site contractors including construction power, water, facilities, permits, and other site resources.
- Report on the progress and status of work, contract letting and procurement for each facility.
- Maintain direction and review the construction contracting strategy proposed and implemented for the project by the construction contractors.
- Review the construction contractors’ plans for controlling large cranes and other high cost equipment; coordinate use of Owner’s supplied equipment and other site resources.
- Ensure that Owner procured items is being expedited in a timely manner to meet the Project Schedule requirements.
- Monitor construction progress, and in particular the critical path, in conjunction with other members of the Owner’s Project Team so that schedule slippage can be monitored and the effects minimized.
- Review the sequencing of activities, co-ordination procedures and systems, and the construction strategy proposed and implemented for the project. Participate in construction reviews in early design effort.
- Act as a “point of contact” between the construction contractors and existing operating facilities to ensure minimal disruption to both operations and construction activities.
- Review and overview the procedure for tag outs, outages and tie-ins to maximize existing productivity, minimize safety risks and integrate with the Project Schedule.
- Accountable to overview pre and cold-commissioning undertaken by the construction contractors prior to handover to the Owner’s Team. Coordinate with operations for hot commissioning/startup staffing and training.
- Overview defect identification and rectification throughout the construction and pre/cold-commissioning process, and then after handover in conjunction with the Process and Maintenance Superintendent.
- Ensure the highest safety standards attainable are achieved through good safety management associated with the construction. Oversee audits and reviews of the project safety management plan to seek continual improvement.
- Provide input to industrial relations strategies and issues with other project team members.
- Ensure all environmental guidelines and requirements are met.
- Monitor and overview the Quality Assurance procedures implemented by construction contractors on the project.
- Review the work methods, access and security requirements proposed by the construction contractors and promote improvements.
- Monitor housekeeping standards maintained by the construction contractors on the site.
- Attend contractor meetings, safety meetings, Owner’s Team meetings and other meetings as required.
- Establish a system to manage “Requests for information” and “Technical queries” rose with the Owner’s Project Team to ensure the flow of information is controlled, recorded and time frames are met.
- Review the Owner’s Project Team scope and requirements for facilities, site services, laydown areas etc. in respect of timing, size and cost.
- Monitor the Scope of Work to ensure that changes are tracked and managed. Provide input when necessary to assist with the evaluation of construction contractor claims and variations.
- Provide information for inclusion in Owner’s Project Team project reports.
- Review the planned, actual and forecast resource levels for the construction contractors and associated consultants.
- Manage all work to meet Newmont requirements for Stage Gate deliverables including peer review, opportunity and risk management, and Value Improving Practices.
- Coordinate all aspects of project commissioning, start-up, and turn-over to operations in conjunction with the AME Project Director and Process Plant Manager.
- Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
The above duties and responsbilities are representatives of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
- Position is located at the Ahafo Mill Expansion offices and the surface area associated with Ahafo Mill Expansion and existing Ahafo Process Plant.
- Position may be required to travel to and assist other domestic and international sites. Position may require frequent and/or extended travel and relocation to construction sites.
TRAINING & EXPERIENCES:
- Bachelor’s Degree with10 years experience in an engineering discipline and/or Construction Management including Brownfields and international projects OR equivalent combination of the experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Skills and Abilities:
- A proven track record in project execution and demonstrated commitment to the successful implementation of the project.
- A proven track record in project development and value generation.
- Proven ability to lead and motivate diverse cross functional team members from different cultures, think innovatively, execute projects, communicate effectively and deliver results.
- Proven ability to work with hourly labor, contracted technical experts and construction contractors.
- Experience in wide variety of projects.
- Proven ability to work within and understand other cultures, including language skills.
- Ability to think out of the box, drive-innovation, and hold cross functional teams accountable for results and recommendations that drive critical schedule decisions.