Reporting to the Head of Legal, the individual selected for this role will be required to provide legal support to other functions of the business in order to achieve team targets and corporate goals in a timely and professional manner. (S)He will oversee the drafting, reviewing, renewing and termination of all commercial contracts of the company and ensuring that they do not expose the business to frivolous litigation.
- Provide general legal advice to the business and bring a commercial outlook to the law;
- Draft and review contracts and documents on transactions affecting the business and participate in meetings and negotiations (where necessary) to ensure minimal exposure by the company to external parties;
- Review and proactively identify legislative, regulatory and other legal developments and threats that affect or can potentially affect existing and anticipated contractual arrangements;
- Set up and monitor a central contracts database;
- Analyse commercial cases/issues affecting the company and advise on strategy, settlement, litigation or ADR as the case may require;
- Provide commercial legal opinions and follow up on issues arising in consultation with the Head of Legal;
- Prepare and circulate monthly updates on legislative/legal developments to relevant internal stakeholders;
- Attend court hearings, meetings and workshops which have commercial legal implications affecting Millicom as requested by the Head of Legal;
- Liaise with external legal Solicitors to submit monthly Litigation Update to the Finance department to facilitate the planning of a possible financial exposures;
- Assist in the General administration of the Legal Department;
- Assist with any other legal work assigned by the Head of Legal.
- A Bachelor of Laws (LLB) qualification;
- Qualifying Certificate in Law (admitted to practice in Ghana);
- Minimum of four (4) years’ experience at the Bar with at least two (2) years’ experience working in a similar role;
- Ability to prepare and conduct PowerPoint presentations on legal issues;
- Must possess satisfactory interpersonal skills, ability to work in a team and should be results oriented;
- Ability to communicate, influence and lead teams.
About Millicom International Cellular (MIC) S.A
Millicom International Cellular (MIC) S.A., operators of Tigo, is a leading international developer and operator of cellular telephone services worldwide primarily in emerging markets operating across Latin America and Africa.
The company provides affordable, widely accessible and readily available cellular telephony services to more than 30 million customers in 13 emerging markets in these continents.
The success of Tigo is based on the triple 'A' business model which stands for Affordability, Accessibility and Availability. This guarantees that our subscribers experience the best services at the most affordable rates throughout our 10 regions of Ghana and beyond.