Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont‘s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programmes in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine.
We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
JOB TITLE:Senior Geotechnical Engineer
POSITION TITLE (BCT):Senior Geotechnical Engineer
REPORTS TO:Chief Mining Engineer
JOB FAMILY: Projects/Operations
DIMENSIONS: Is accountable for the implementation of Geotechnical standards and procedures for Subika Underground Team
Operating Cost/Budget/Production: Operations/Capital Budget:$1M – $5M Manpower Budget:20-28
# Positions directly supervised: 2
# Positions indirectly supervised:0
• Establishes and implements the Geotechnical standards and procedures for Subika Technical Services Team;
• Provide geotechnical advice to all functions within Technical Services, Geology and Operations on site;
• Work with the Engineers and mining personnel to implement the Ground Control Management Plan, Ground Support Standards and QA/QC on ground support;
• Supervise and provide direction to the Geotechnical Engineers and Graduates
• Actively participate in mine planning activities;
• Prepare reports and maintain records as required; and
• Work closely with the Planning Engineers.
• Prepare and implement the Geotechnical standards and procedures for the Geotechnical department and be accountable for the standards being met for all outputs from you and your geotechnical engineering team.
• Ensuring the NMC Techincal Standards pertaining to Geotechnical are implemented and sustained.
• Implement the standards for the Technical Services Department and be accountable for the standards being met for all outputs from you.
• Prepare and be accountable for the accuracy and timeliness of rock mass quality assessments and assessing the effects current mining activity is having or may have on localised mine stability.
• Oversee the quality control program for installed ground support. This includes working with operations and other geotechnical engineering staff to deliver QA/QC information and test results in a timely manner.
• Participate in and be accountable for the accuracy of outputs from specific geotechnical tasks such as:
o Establishment and management of stress measurement and seismic systems within the mine, including the procedures associated with their operation;
o Advising on pillar design, mining sequencing, ground support design, etc;
o Analysis of stope design, including potential for overbreak
• Manage program and participate in site investigations and reporting on ground falls and rock noise;
• Modelling the mine geotechnical domains; and monitoring and reporting on mine seismicity.
• Assess geotechnical risks and develop mitigation plans.
• Evaluate and propose optimum geotechnical engineering solutions for problematic situations (based on accumulated data/information) which threaten the achievement of planned objectives.
Safety and Environment
• Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
• Actively participate in all Newmont Ghana safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
• Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
• Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
• Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
• Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings.
Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
• Potential for hazardous conditions exists in underground mines and the incumbent must be familiar with them.
• Potential for adverse environmental conditions exists in some locations.
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
• Tertiary qualifications in Science, Engineering or Geology with geo-mechanical subjects or a geotechnical upgrade to the degree;
• A minimum of 7 years experience in underground mining, predominantly in geotechnical engineering and including operational experience.
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access)
Skills and Abilities:
• Strong knowledge of Mine 2-4D, Vulcan, Dips, Unwedge, Phases and Map 3D programs