The University of Ghana invites application from suitably qualified persons for the position of Pro-Vice-Chancellor, which will become vacant on 1st November, 2016.
POSITION: Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research Innovation and Development)
REPORTING TO: Vice-Chancellor
The vision of University of Ghana is to become a “world class research-intensive university” over the next decade. The mission of University of Ghana, as defined in its corporate strategic plan, is to create an enabling environment that makes the University increasingly relevant to national and global development through cutting edge research, as well as high quality teaching and learning.
Founded in 1948, University of Ghana is the oldest and largest University in Ghana and is certainly one of the most distinguished universities in Africa. University of Ghana has a student population of almost 40,000 and employees numbering approximately 6,000, made up of academic and senior administrative employees, as well as other support staff.
(a) Must be A FULL PROFESSOR from an academic/research institution or a person from industry eligible for that position.
(b) Must be capable of providing academic leadership, especially in the areas of research, innovation and development in the University.
(c) Must provide evidence of managerial and administrative leadership and capacity to promote a collegial research environment in the University.
(d) Must have the vision and the drive to oversee the growth of the University especially in the area of Research, Innovation and Development.
The Pro-Vice-Chancellor with responsibility for Research, Innovation and Development shall, under the Vice-Chancellor, have responsibility for:
1. The development and implementation of the University’s research policy and guidelines;
2. The promotion, facilitation and co-ordination of research activities in the University as a whole;
3. Ensuring a functional system for ethical clearance, as well as their monitoring and evaluation;
4. Representing the interests of the University in contractual applications and reporting;
5. Setting standards and ensuring effective dissemination of high quality research output;
6. Administering contract research;
7. Promoting the development of faculty capability and capacity to deliver high quality research output;
8. Ensuring effective distribution and efficient use of research funds, in line with priority areas identified in the University’s strategic plan and national needs;
9. The development of a fundraising strategy and to raise funds for research;
10. Providing liaison between the University and funding agencies and broker strategic partnerships between such agencies and the University;
11. Facilitating the development and review of the University’s strategic plan, including business plans; and monitor implementation and delivery against set objectives and targets;
12. Promoting strategic partnerships between the University, other universities locally and abroad, relevant industries and business community;
13. The registration, protection, patenting and commercialisation of intellectual property; and
14. Managing the Research and Conferences Committee, Publications Committee, External Funds Office, and the Research Administration Units.
A Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for three years on terms and conditions determined by the University Council and is eligible for re-appointment for a further term of up to three years.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
An applicant is required to submit the complete application pack to the Registrar, University of Ghana, P. O. Box 25, Legon, Accra, Ghana; or firstname.lastname@example.org. The application pack should contain the following:
(i) Completed application form for Senior Level Administrative Positions (UAB Form 1C to be downloaded from the University’s website at: www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd.
(ii) An up to date Curriculum Vitae and relevant supporting documents.
(iii) A statement of about 2,500 words (not more than five pages) indicating how one intends to use the period in office to address relevant issues that will ensure that the University achieves its mission and vision. The UG strategic plan can be downloaded at:http://www.ug.edu.gh/pad/publication/ug-strategic-plan
Further information about the University of Ghana may be found on the university website atwww.ug.edu.gh.
Applications should reach the Registrar not later than the close of day on Friday, 30th September, 2016. However, applications to the Registrar will be accepted until the position is filled.