Provide leadership and technical support to the underground operations department with the aim of improving the mines performance in relation to safety, cost and production.
- Managing mining activities to ensure targets are achieved safely, efficiently and to specification without compromising the long term integrity of the mine plan
- Leading, organizing, developing and motivating the prime mining contractor to achieve the Short Term Production PlanDriving improvement in safe development and production
- Seek out, lead and apply underground best practices and continuous improvements practices to deliver sustainable cost, efficiency and personnel health and wellness improvements.
- Engage with Technical Services Team and support Mine Manager to achieve business objectives.
- Managing costs in the operation areas and ensuring that cost saving initiatives benefit the operation as a whole.
- Develop talent pipeline and ensure contractor is implementing training and development programs to meet nationalization targets.
- Work to eliminate all workplace injuries and illness through a focus on behaviors, leadership and risk management.
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Actively participate in all Newmont Ghana safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
- Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings.
- Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
- A Tertiary degree in mining or related field
- Ghanaian Mine Captain Certification or equivalent.
- 18 years of experience in underground mining. This experience should include progressive management experience in both owner and contractor capacities.
- Experience in building, training and executing with a multinational team.
- Experience with design and implementing systems for rapid mechanized underground mine development and semi-automated LHOS production.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to obtain Ghanaian Statutory Certifications.
- Demonstrated setting up and implementation of mine operating systems.
- Identification and implementation of projects to de-bottle neck and improve safe production.
- Management and production roles in large scale mechanized LHOS underground mines.
- Demonstrated contractor management skills.
Environmental Work Conditions:
- Combination of office and UG mining conditions.
- Moist wet surfaces with section of continuous water fall.
- Potential for extreme dust particles and high heat/humidity.
- Noise exposure within the requirements for earplugs or/and ear muffs.
- Dark environment which requires personal attachment of lit head gear.
- Underground conditions include steep decline with section of uneven terrain.
- Unventilated areas with asphyxiating gaseous environments.
- Working with corrosive chemicals.
Physical and Safety Requirements (HSLP):
- Employee must be able to perform and work under the following conditions:
- Operate small hand-held tools, such as saws, hammers weighing up to 5 lbs. Operate underground and surface vehicles on haulage roads including a pre-operational inspection, mounting and dismounting vehicle, pushing and pulling knobs and levers, and turning steering wheels.
- Operate and hold a radio with sufficient voice and hearing to carry on a conversation for the purpose of following work assignments and providing feedback.
- Read, comprehend, interpret and learn literature, Material Safety Data Sheets MSDS, labels on products, warning signs, instructional manuals and numbers on monitors and gauges, to prevent loss of personnel, property and process.
- Wear personal protective equipment including hard hat, steel toe shoes, safety glasses, respirators, wet suits, earplugs, gloves, head lamp or any other equipment to perform duties safely.
- Walk and stand on uneven and wet surfaces.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
About Newmont Mining Corporation
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.