Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
The purpose of the Health and Safety Superintendent role is to carry out the requirements of the Integrated and Health Safety and Loss Prevention Management Systems for the Ahafo Operations.
- Participate in the development and implementation of OHSAS 18001 at Ahafo.
Develop and administer Newmont programs to prevent accidents/incidents and loss at Ahafo.
Work with other site departments to reduce the incidence of accidents at Ahafo.
Manage the weekly, monthly and yearly H&S internal and external reporting processes.
Work with the H&S coordinators to increase their HS skill levels and knowledge, mentor and coach.
Manage the activities of the H&S coordinators to ensure that an appropriate H&S service is in place, including inspections, safety meetings, and safety behaviour programs.
Provide advice to department managers about hazard identification, risk management, safety rules and regulations, trends and statistics and legal compliance.
Participate in hazard identification and risk assessment activities.
Manage, review and audit the accident/incident reporting and investigation process to ensure root causes are identified and corrective actions are appropriate to prevent reoccurrence.
Conduct internal audits for the IMS and H&S Technical Standards.
Manage the Occupational Health and Hygiene program for Ahafo.
Manage the malaria control program Ahafo.
Support the H&S Manager; provide relief when the manager is off site as required.
Carry out all duties in a manner that minimizes the risk and maintains a safe working environment for all personnel including contractors.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
- This position is based at the Ahafo Operations and works a 5 days on, 2 days off roster.
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
- Master’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Health, Safety and Loss Prevention, Risk Management or a related engineering discipline.
- Thorough understanding of Safety Management Systems including OHSAS 18001.
- Sound knowledge of risk management and loss prevention processes.
- Knowledge of relevant health and safety legislative requirements.
- Minimum 7-8 years’ experience in working in the health and safety field in an extractive industry.
- Two years or more of management experience is desirable.
- Accident/ incident investigation experience.
- Auditing qualifications.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Strong presentation, organizational and communication skills essential.
- Competent in MS Office software.
- Current Driver’s License.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse work group.